Logo Image
return to the home page

The Chipping Norton Area

 

       
 

Chipping Norton is the highest town in Oxfordshire and was once an important centre for the wool trade. It has numerous 18th century houses and a "wool" church which is one of the finest in the county.

In 1205 King John granted a charter for an annual wool fair but it is thought that the traditional September Mop Fair, which still continues today, was originally for hiring labour.

William Bliss was the town's greatest benefactor and the mill he erected in 1872 is still a prominent landmark in the town. Since production at the mill ceased in 1980, it has been converted into luxury flats and leisure facilities.