Logo Image
return to the previous page

 

 

 

 

report offensive content
click to view site

click to view site

 

text version

 

 

Homepage

Blenheim Palace

Chastleton House

Cogges Manor Farm

Combe Mill

Cotswold Wildlife

Filkins

Kelmscott Manor

Oxford Bus Museum

Witney Museum

Wychwood Brewery

Oxfordshire Museum

bookmark this website print this page    
Kelmscott Manor

Image 1 for Kelmscott Manor

Kelmscott Manor, a grade 1 Listed Tudor farmhouse adjacent to the River Thames, was built in 1570, with an additional wing added to the northeast corner in about 1665. William Morris chose Kelmscott Manor as his summer home and lived there from 1871 until his death in 1896. Morris loved the house as a work of true craftsmanship, totally unspoilt and unaltered, and in harmony with the village and the surrounding countryside. He considered it so natural in its setting as to be almost organic, it looked to him as if it had "grown up out of the soil"; and with "quaint garrets amongst great timbers of the roof where of old times the tillers and herdsmen slept".

Click here for more information.