Logo Image
return to the previous page

 

 

 

 

report offensive content
click to view site advert 2

click to view site advert 3

 

text version

 

 

Homepage

SPC Meeting dates

WODC News Releases

Swerford Christmas

The Queens 90th

Swerford Gardens

Garden Photos

Council Proposals

Swerford VH

Swerford Parish

Swerford PC Agenda

Village hall

Village Hall Diary

Parish Council

Swerford Whos Who

swift boxes

St Marys today

Swerford Orchard

Swerford Castle

Landscape sleuth

Leighs snow pics

Wills snow pics

Swerford Chapel

David Cameron

Bluerow

Swerford WI

Swerford Mayday

50s Memories

Landgirl

Jenny Tustian MBE

Garden Highlights

bookmark this website print this page    
Village Hall Committee Meeting Minutes

Last Updated 17 February 2018 10:28

Swerford Village Hall Committee

Minutes of the meeting held on 28 November 2017

Present: Charlotte Douglass, John Chaplin, Leonard Tustian, Kate Campion, June Haigh, Roy Haigh, Gavin Strachan,Alex Stanton.

Apologies for absence: Carla McKay,Charles Campion.

1. Minutes from the previous meeting

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved and signed.

2. Christmas event

It was previously agreed that the Hall should be the venue for a party on Saturday 23 Decemberfrom 4 pm to 5.30 pm before the Christmas carol service at St Mary’s at 6 pm.

Mulled wine, non-alcoholicmulled wine, and some soft drinks (John to deal) will be available. Mince pies (provided by the Haighs) will be served as will smoked salmon (Kate and Gavin) and Rosalind Haddon was suggested as the provider for some sausages.

It was agreed that the entry fee should be £5 which would covera glass of wine and limitless food. Subsequent drinks by donation £2.Under 12s free entry.Surplus funds will be donated to the St Mary’s.

The Haighs agreed to decorate the hall. John will erect a Christmas tree.

Two tables only would be required for glasses etc which the Haighs and John will do.

John will publish a hard copy flyer for the five Luddites and also send an emailed flyer to the rest of the village.

3. Burns night

Twenty people have signed up so far so the event will definitely take place on 27 January 2018. John and Maggie Chaplin will organise and produce the food. Oliver Stogdon has volunteered to pipe and Peter McKay has a dirk. John Chaplin will send out an advert. The cost will be about £14 for a two course meal and a glass of whisky to start, but attendees should bring their own wine.

4. Buildings maintenance– kitchen roof

John Chaplin had received a quotation from Woodstock Roofing of Chipping Norton to re-roof the kitchen for approximately £5,000, plus £900 for scaffolding, plus £900 to sort out the chimney, all plus VAT. John thinks that this quotation is over the top especially as the contractors suggest that the roof is 40 sq metres rather than the actual 30 sq metres, the quotation includes removal from site of all the old roofing, which villagers will do, and VAT needs to be charged.

The recommendation is that we seek another quote from a smaller organisation. Alex suggested Cotswold Roofing. John will find out which company did the Old School House roof and make enquiries in Hook Norton. Charles Campion might have an idea too and Kate said she would ask him. The Parish council will pay for that portion of the job which is “an improvement”.

5.Next meeting

It was agreed that the next meeting should be held at the end of January 2018. Charlotte to circulate the committee with a suggested date.

Swerford Village Hall Committee

Minutes of the meeting held on 23 May 2017

Present: Charlotte Douglas, John Chaplin, Kate Campion, June Haigh, Roy Haigh, Alex Stanton, Gavin Strachan andLeonard Tustian.

Apologies for absence: Charles Campion

1. Minutes from the previous meeting

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved and signed.

2. Matter arising from the previous minutes

The Chairman of the Parish Council, Jonathan Drinkwater, relayed his thanks that the Village Hall Committee meeting minutes were going on the website.

Coffee morning and plant sale

The coffee morning and plant sale on 1 April was successful, and raised £147.80 which included the sales of plants as well as the raffle.

Howden Jones concert

The concert by Howden Jones on 13 May was well received. Twenty four people paid and 21 attended. While low in terms of attendance the Hall seemed reasonably full and the band appeared to be happy.

It was thought that it would be difficult to many more attending unless the playing group had its own followers, or substantial promotion was made in other villages.

£200 was given to Howden Jones; and £54, basically from the raffle, was retained for the Hall.

Open Gardens 17 and 18 June

John Chaplin updated the committee on the Open Gardens weekend and produced a promotional leaflet for the event. Proceeds from the event will be donated 50/50 to the Church and Katharine House Hospice.

The event was nothing to do with the Village Hall in terms of administration, excepting that, for ease, the Village Hall bank account would be used for receipts and disbursements. The Village Hall’s liability insurance could not be transferred for parking of cars in Leonard Tustian’s field, and as a result a disclaiming notice will be posted. The Gardens team will rent the hall and the hall will sell teas. Nine gardens will be open, and there a flower festival held in the Church. Two separate talks will be given, one on each of the two afternoons. Raffle tickets will be on sale for a draw on the Monday following the event, and there will be a tombola at Lands Farm.

Tickets for the weekend will be on sale in the Church (and in each garden). Charlotte Douglas will organise a rota for the Church ticket sales.Kate Campion suggested that a sound machine playing appropriate music be put into the Church.

Other matters arising from the minutes

• The defibrillator has arrived.

• The hot water was now working.

• Cracks in the fabric and plant growth in the gutters will continue to be monitored.

• Trees in the garden. Discussion took place during the meeting and a visitat the end of the meeting was made to the garden.It was generally agreed that any potential work be looked at again in 2018.

3. Future events

There was a consensus that the now well-established formula of an autumn coffee morning, the village quiz in February, and the plant sale in April worked well, so this leaved slots for an event in October and a possible one at Christmas.

Instead of a coffee morning in September with just a book sale it was thought that a coffee morning with books, toys, board games should be organised.

Suggested by Kate Campion for a talk in October was one by Harry and Charlotte Campion, and Charles Drinkwater, about their recent travels.

For the Christmas event, as children might well be involved, one possibility, proposed by Kate Campion, was a Punch and Judy show, or, proposed by Alex Stanton, a story teller.

Kate agreed to report back on the Punch and Judy lady and on the Campion/Drinkwater talk, but said there was no reason why the latter should not take place.

Other suggestions as to possible events included other lecturers, but bring and buy sales tended to produce inappropriate contributions and wine and similar tastings were probably not feasible as the sponsors of such things looked for sales in excess of what Swerford could probably produce in terms of attendees.

4. Finances

John Chaplin reported that the Church had paid for its recent meetings in the hall. He said that he would email committee members with the latest figures.

5. Any other business

There was no other business.

6. Next meeting

1 August 2017 at 7.30 pm which would include discussion about setting in motion the autumn’s events.

Swerford Village Hall Committee

Minutes of the meeting held on 1 August 2017

Present: Charlotte Douglass,Kate Campion, John Chaplin, June Haigh, Roy Haigh, Gavin Strachan andLeonard Tustian.

Apologies for absence: Charles Campion,Alex Stanton.

1. Minutes from the previous meeting The minutes from the previous meeting were approved and signed.

2. Matter arising from the previous minutes Although the hot water was working at the time of the previous meeting, it did not work on the Saturday of the Gardens Open Day. However, it was fixed by the Sunday morning at a cost of £65.

3. Future events

Charlotte Douglass asked if the events checklist she had prepared for the previous meeting was useful. It was agreed that it was, and Charlotte said she would email the committee with an electronic version.

Coffee morning

It was agreed that a coffee morning will be held on 30 September 1030-1200. Children’s books would be for sale at 50p, as well astoys and board games. The cost of entry fee would be 10p or free if you bring a book or game for sale. It was proposed that photographs of the Gardens Open days,courtesy of Leigh Warr and her photographer son Jonathan, including those taken from a drone,would be shown, probably on a continuous projected loop.

Action required:

Publicity: John Chaplin agreed to send an email, based on the list of The Swerford Insight recipients,advertising the date of the event and requesting donations of newish sets of board games, toys and children’s books. Nearer the time he would prepare a flyer for posting through letterboxes.

Charlotte Douglass to buy a book token for the raffle.

Kate Campion to provide cakes.

John Chaplin to organise tea, coffee, soft drinks and the Opens Gardens photos.

John Chaplin to provide a float.

Preparation of room: the Haighs, John and Gavin agreed to do this on the Friday immediately beforehand.

On the day itself Charlotte to sell entry and raffle tickets.

Kate Campion thought that there might be requests for copies of the photos from the Gardens Open days. It was agreed that it would probably be best if John responded to individual requestson a case by case basis rather putting in place anything more formal.

October Event

Kate Campion advised that the proposed talks by her children,Harry and Charlotte, and by Charlie Drinkwater,would need to be put on the back burner as Charlotte willbe based in Barcelona until May 2018.

Alix Booth’s Party Puppets

It was therefore suggested that Alix Booth of Party Puppets should be invited to give her lecture on the history of Punch and Judy as told through the characters. This would cost £170 as the lecturer had to come some distance.The talk will be aimed at adults and an age restriction might have to be put on those children hoping to attend. It was agreed that tickets would be charged at £8 to include a glass of wine; with the hope that there might then be a purchase of two raffle tickets, the prize of the raffle yet to be agreed,to make £10 as a likely contribution from each attendee. Kate Campion agreed to email Alix Boothto agree a firm date and time sometime in the second half of October/early November.

The lecturer will bring her own equipment but needs a projector and screen and tables.

It was agreed that John Chaplin would send out publicity when a date was known. He would also provide cash floats and wine, while Kate Campion would provide some nibbles.

Christmas event

It was agreed that the hall should be the venue for a party immediately before the Christmas carol service at St Mary’s. This would most likely take place on Saturday 23 December. It was agreed that the party must be integrated withwhat would be happening at the church.

It was proposed that mulled wine and mince pieces should be available and perhaps some smoked salmon. It was also agreed that the donation fee should be modest, but heavy drinkers should be made to pay extra.

4. Finances

John Chaplin had emailed the latest accounts to the committee before the meeting.

These showed that the hall made, after expenses, £32.71 in the four months ending 31 July 2017. Outgoings included the payment of rates, fire extinguisher servicing etc and making good the hot water system. The effect of the Gardens Open days was that the Village Hall kept £150 being the rental over the period.

Income for the coffee morning and plant sale on 1 April was £147.

The current account had a balance of £1,540, and the deposit account £6,695, the two totalling £8,235.

5 Garden and buildings maintenance

It was agreed that Roy Haigh and John Chaplin would investigate the crack adjacent to the kitchen inside and outside. This might require the crack detector being removed. It was also agreed that Roy and John would try and remove the cobwebs in the ceiling.

6 Any other business

Bookings

A weekly exercise class is to take place at 11.15 on Friday mornings starting in September. Kate Campion is the contact forthe group for the payment of hall rent.

Kate enquired about storing eight mats. It was suggested that a suitable place would be the top shed. Accordingly it was agreed that John and Roy should shift the marquee equipment to make room for them.

Electricity costs

Leonard Tustian enquired of John Chaplin the current price and daily charge we are paying for electricity. John did not have the figures to hand but said he would find them and respond.

New committee member(s)

John Chaplin suggested that as the committee is biased in terms of numbers towards the Church End of the village we should look for a further Chapel End representative(s). It was agreed that John should approach a potential candidate(s).

7. Next meeting

It was agreed that the next meeting should be held before Alix Booth’s event and a round robin email would be sent by Charlotte to propose the date.

Charlotte John Charlotte Kate John John Haighs, John and Gavin Charlotte Kate John Kate Roy and John John and Roy John John Charlotte

Swerford Village Hall Committee

Minutes of the meeting held on 17 October 2017

Present: Charlotte Douglass, John Chaplin, June Haigh, Roy Haigh, Gavin Strachan,Alex Stanton, Carla McKay.

Apologies for absence: Kate Campion, Leonard Tustian, Charles Campion.

1. Minutes from the previous meeting

The minutes from the previous meeting were approved and signed.

2. Matter arising from the previous minutes

Charlotte Douglass confirmed that she had earlier emailed committee members with the Events Checklist.

The Coffee Morning on 30 September raised £78, an amount which included the sale of some of the games after the event. It was attended by the usual people. John Chaplin urged committee members to keep their minds open for interesting formats so that as an event it did not became stale.

There was no news on Kate Campion’s exercise group as Kate was not present at the meeting.

Leonard Tustian had enquired of John Chaplin the electricity costs for the Hall. Leonard buys his electricity through a farmers’ cooperative broker in Banbury and whose members are VAT registered. The Hall was therefore not eligible. However, the broker was most helpful and he confirmed that the charges of SSE, the Village Hall supplier,were acceptable and that it is a reasonably ethical company.

Charlotte Douglass welcomed as a new committee Carla McKay from Chapel End.

3. October Event:Alix Booth’s Party Puppets

Alix Booth of Party Puppetswill give a performance on Saturday 21st October, at 7 for 7.30.22 attendees are required to raise enough money for her fee.It was agreed that tickets would be charged at £8 to include a glass of wine; with the hope that there might then be a purchase of two raffle ticketsto make £10 as a likely contribution from each attendee. It was proposed by Carla McKay that the new owners of the Masons Arms be approached todonate one of the raffle prizes. John Chaplin promised to email Carla McKay with the correct contact name for her to make enquiries. Gavin Strachan promised to donate a bottle of wine as second prize.

John Chaplin said he would get a case of wine and some nibbles, and he had soft drinks available from previous occasions.

The lecturer will bring her own equipment but needs the projector and screen and two tables.She will arrive at 6pm and said she would come direct to the Hall. Charlotte to contact Kate and agree whois opening the Hall and then decide at what time to set up. In view of the churchyard renovation team meeting at 10 am on the same day it was likely that the Hall preparation would take place on the afternoon of Friday 20 October.

Christmas event

It had already been agreed that the Hall should be the venue for a party immediately before the Christmas carol service at St Mary’s. This would most likely take place on Saturday 23 December.It was agreed that the party must be integrated withwhat would be happening at the church.

It was proposed that mulled wine and mince pieces should be available and perhaps some smoked salmon. It was also agreed that the entry fee should be by donation, and once a date had been confirmed that its organisation could be achieved via emails between the committee.

Swerford Village Quiz.

The annual quiz is to be held on 24 February 2018. The entrance fee in previous years was £8 a head, but it was agreed that it should be raised this time to £10.

As winners of the quiz in 2017, in charge of organisation are Shawn and Trisha from the Old Police House and David and Gordon from the Old School House.

4. Finances

John Chaplin had emailed the latest accounts to the committee before the meeting. Recent income included the Coffee Morning and renting the projector to Maggie Chaplin. John Chaplin still had to invoice the Parish Council for their use of the Hall, and confirmation was required that Kate Campion’s exercise group had started

Recent outgoings included paying insurance for the year. The total funds now stood at £7,879.

5 Garden and buildings maintenance

The Kitchen roof.

John Chaplin, Roy Haigh and Gavin Strachan had investigated the kitchen roof on 20 September. The main roof of the Hall and the north facing part of the kitchen roof were completely replaced in circa 1990. The south facingpart was not renovated, and is composed of old clay tiles which do not look in the best of condition and the ridge tiles are broken and letting in water. In addition there are some redundant chimney type structures which might also be causing problems.

John Chaplin had contacted Woodstock Roofing of Chipping Norton to have a look at the problem and give a quote. Their visit was scheduled to take place on 31 October at 10 am.

It was agreed that Woodstock Roofing shouldat the same time also look at the crack between the kitchen and the main room. Installation of insulation should also be investigated.

The Parish Council own the building and the Village Hall Committee is responsible for its maintenance. As there would be capital improvements to the Hall, the Parish Council would be asked to contribute to the cost of any work.

6 Any other business

John Chaplin suggested that on the basis on some earlier Burns Nights that another such occasion might take place in January. John agreed to send out an email to gauge support for a possible supper on Saturday 27 January 2018.

7. Next meeting

It was agreed that the next meeting should be held Tuesday 28 November at 7.30pm.

John Carla Gavin John Charlotte Kate Charlotte John Kate